We all know that riding bicycles is the most efficient way of getting from one place to another. While they are mainly used as a mode of transport, they are likewise used for leisure. In fact, many cyclists ride their bikes on off-road trails where they get to feel the rush of traversing uneven terrains. Whatever the reason for riding them, bicycles are truly beneficial in a lot of aspects. To begin with, such an activity is good for the environment. Obviously, no fuel is needed to operate it. More importantly, riding bicycles is known for its health benefits.
Many riders joining cycling holidays Europe are fully aware that the activity itself is a form of exercise. This is the reason why more and more people are into cycling. They see it as an opportunity to shed off the pounds and generally be fit and healthy as possible. In fact, when riding a bike is not available due to inclement weather conditions, some of them take advantage of exercise bikes. Also known as stationary bicycles, these are equipment that simulates cycling. Although they are found mostly in gyms, many people, whether they own bicycles or not, have invested on such equipment that they can do the exercise itself at the comfort of their own home.
True enough, exercising using either the bicycle or the exercise bike can definitely boost one’s health and ensure one’s fitness. Meanwhile, here are some of the health benefits of using them:
- Riding on a bike in European picturesque locations is an easy and tranquil exercise routine. Many people who want to lose weight or maintain their overall fitness often find it hard to commit to doing high-impact training and playing sports due to time restraints or lack of skills. Indeed, cycling might be the best routine for them, mainly because it requires no skills, it can be done anywhere and at any time, and it is a low-impact exercise.
- Riding on a bike can help one lose weight. The pounds are shed just by exerting effort when riding a bicycle or simulating a leisure bike ride on an exercise bicycle. In fact, steady cycling for an hour on the equipment can burn up to 300 calories. More calories are burned when one is cycling at a faster pace, whether they are at home on the equipment or on an off-road trail on a bicycle. Even after cycling, the metabolic rate is still ongoing, which helps in losing more and more calories.
- Cycling is known to tone the muscles. In fact, cycling can help improve muscle function of not just the legs and thighs, but also the hips and the torso. Cycling in duration of one hour for three to four days a week is enough to tone the important muscle groups.
- Biking is good for the heart. Cycling is a cardiovascular exercise routine. Indeed, whether the person is exercising or using the bicycle to go someplace else, he or she is improving his or her cardiovascular fitness. In fact, a weekly routine of cycling covering a total of 20 miles helps lower the risk of suffering coronary heart disease by half.
- Riding on a bike helps reduce stress. Apart from it being a shedder of pounds, cycling is also known to be a great stress reliever – most especially if you take part in cycling holidays Europe. When riding a bicycle on an off-road trail, for example, a person gets to enjoy nature. With cycling, he or she is able to take his or her mind off several stress-inducing activities of the day and be able to revitalize and feel relaxed.
These are just some of the health benefits of joining cycling holidays. It is truly an exercise that seems effortless to do, and using either a bicycle is definitely beneficial for anyone, especially in terms of health and fitness.