Installing new flooring is an expensive endeavor. It is crucial to get it right the first time. If decided to go with vinyl, look for the best underlayment for vinyl plank flooring. Depending on the product and where it will be installed, an underlayment may not be needed.
What is underlayment?
The finish floor material layered on top of the underlayment, which is a thin material that covers the subfloor.
Sound deadening, softening the feel of the floor underfoot, and acting as a moisture barrier are all functions of underlayment.
Type of underlayment needed.
Given below are the types of underlayment required for the following flooring
- Concrete subfloor
When installing over a concrete subfloor, keep in mind that it’s surface use a cushioned underlayment. An underlayment with moisture resistance and possibly insulating properties can also be chosen.
- Plywood subfloor
On plywood, there is no need for a moisture barrier underlayment. It’s more important that the underlayment reduces noise and is comfortable to wear.
Underlayment with added cushioning.
- Existing Flooring
Vinyl plank flooring can be installed over tile, vinyl flooring, or even hardwood. There’s no need to worry about a moisture barrier, just like the plywood floor; the underlayment should provide cushioning and sound-deadening benefits.
Underlayment not required for new vinyl flooring if:
- Vinyl flooring installed over a tile floor that is below grade.
- The vinyl flooring laid over an existing cushioned vinyl floor.
Underlayment required for new vinyl flooring if:
- Vinyl flooring laid over existing hardwood floors.
- Installed over uncushioned vinyl flooring previously installed.
- The vinyl flooring installed on top of the concrete.
Installment of underlayment for vinyl plank flooring
- Install the underlayment in the other direction as the flooring.
- Roll the material out from a corner, shiny side up, to the opposite side of the room.
- Make sure to leave 2″ on all sides around the edges.
- Subsequent pieces butt up against the preceding piece but never overlap.
- Clear packing tape used to seal the seams along the entire length of the seam.
Best underlayment for vinyl plank flooring provides comfort underfoot, sound reduction, and moisture barriers. It may seem strange to be concerned about comfort in the case of flooring, but walking on concrete and hard surfaces can be taxing on the body. A good underlayment could indeed make a big difference in how it feels to be on their feet all day for some people.