When it comes to your wardrobe, you need to be able to tell the difference between a durable piece and something that won’t last for more than a season. You should learn how to assess at the onset so you only have high-quality garments in your wardrobe.
To assess the quality of the garment, you need to understand the different types of fibers. Fibers can either be natural (like cotton, bamboo, hemp, linen, wool, silk, cashmere, and angora) or man-made (like polyester, polyamide, nylon, and acrylic).
Here are some fibers best for your wardrobe:
Cotton is the most popular type of fabric. You need to know the following:
- It is made of long-staple fibers: this is the most important property of cotton. It talks about the length of every fiber. The staple length of the cotton will depend on its origin and type.
- It is durable: since cotton features longer fibers that can be spun into finer yarns, it can be tightly bounded. This will result in a stronger and more durable fabric.
- It is soft: even thick and sturdy cotton fabric should feel soft on the skin. If it does not, it is probably made of shorter fibers, which are less durable.
Linen is created from flax fibers, which are naturally smooth but not elastic. You need to know the following:
- It is not a soft garment: by nature, linen is not a soft garment. It can feel rough or scratchy.
- It is durable: it is durable if you consider the composition of cotton and linen. This mix makes for durable yet softer fabric.
- It wrinkles easily: since it is not very elastic, it tends to wrinkle easily.
Wool is a fiber with a very low carbon footprint since it can be harvested without the need for pesticides and chemicals. You need to know the following:
- The quality is determined by its diameter: the quality is determined by its diameter, which is measured in microns. For garments, the ideal diameter of wool should be 25-30 microns.
- Finer wools are expensive: finer wools are softer and craftier to make. For this, finer wools are considered expensive.
- It is elastic: you must know that wool fabric should be elastic. With this, it should bounce back immediately.
The Internet is full of denim specialists. With this, there are different options available for you. You need to know the following:
- Cellulose fibers are smooth and silky: you must know that https://www.tencel.com/denim is made of cellulose fibers that are treated to create a smooth and silky fabric. Typically, it is produced in a “closed loop”. This kind of fiber is incredible because it is soft, wrinkle-proof and has a gorgeous drape.
- Strong seams that will not unravel are crucial: denim is a heavy fabric thereby strong seams that will not unravel are crucial. If the treads of the seams will pull apart – it is not so good. You should also check the stitching. Remember that high-quality denim manufacturers use either double stitching or chain stitching.
Keep in mind that what distinguishes high-quality from low-quality garments is the extra steps the manufacturers take to ensure that the garments now look appealing and it will continue to do so even after multiple washes and wears. More importantly, a good garment should feel comfortable on the skin and it should be well fitted.