Your road safety lies within your hands and how you are able to manage it well. Remember that simple steps can go a long way. Driving your vehicle with utmost safety and also keeping a note on people on the road will help you to prevent accidents and also won’t make you a victim of any. However, remember that speed humps are also necessary to help you with the road safety measures. Now the real question lies on how effective these humps actually are. Can they offer you with the much needed road safety and offer the ultimate traffic control management? If the answer is yes, then you have attended the right spot.
Working out on speed:
Speed happens to be the main factor behind maximum vehicle accidents. It will increase not just the risk but also severity of the accident too. With drivers moving faster, they end up with less time to respond to road conditions. Any kind of resulting collision can cause damage and sometimes fatal injuries as well. It is true that speed humps making your roads safer and that’s the reason behind their growing importance for proper road management these days.
- For countering issues like extra speed, municipalities can always choose from various traffic calming tools for encouraging safe driving. These speed humps are just one of them. Some of the other strategies to follow are speed bumps, signs and roundabouts.
- The main goal over here is to slow down the drivers and then increase the driver awareness to a great extent. Even though speed zones can always encourage safe driving, it can be difficult and also quite expensive to enforce that on a large scale.
- In some areas, where the speeding carries heightened risks, vertical deflections can always impose that speed reduction. Speed bumps and humps are some of those promising examples of vertical deflections. They are widely used nowadays because of their lower cost and easy installation.
Speed bumps or humps:
Despite their names being more or less similar, these speed bumps and speed humps are quite not interchangeable. They are pretty distinct in their different performances. Both of them will be using around 2 to 4 inches rise to force the drivers to reduce current speed.
- Speed bumps happen to have shorter travel distance than the humps. So, they are ready to create a more aggressive jolt.
- On the other hand, speed bumps will measure to around 6 feet long, and that will end up with some serious speed reductions.
- The front wheels of the vehicles will pass over bumps entirely before even the rear wheels pass over. That might cause the driver to experience two bumps. So, the drivers will then have to slow down to near stop to pass over the bumps comfortably and safely.
- Then you have the speed humps, which are modular and will span around 12 to 14 feet wide. Or it might cover the entire width of road if desired properly.
- Vehicles get the chance to pass over these humps with less of a jolt. They get the chance to maintain speeds safely of around 15 to 20 miles every hour.
- These humps are always a better suit for local lanes and roads, where the lower speeds are highly preferable. However, the full stops are not necessary or not convenient at this stage.
The benefits that you can get from speed humps:
You are likely to get bombarded with benefits of speed humps for traffic control. Speed humps are always intended to reduce the current driving speed of the driver down by around 10 to 15 miles hourly over hump and even 25 to 30 miles hourly between humps, when available in series. You can arrange the humps in such a manner which will help to avoid disruption of on-0street parking and cycling lanes as well.
Some of the major studies have shown around 40% speed reduction for the majority of the vehicles. It can also get to deter excessive speeders in here. These effects will then translate to a few accidents. Children are less likely to get struck by neighbourhood cars whenever you have speed humps installed.
The promising section is that the answers are not likely to revert with passing time. Some of the other traffic measures like “slow” signs will end up losing its efficacy with growing age. However, the reduction in traffic volume and speed from the humps can always remain long right after the local drivers have become accustomed to presence.
The precautionary measures related to humps:
Even though the speed humps have already been proven to reduce speed and make the neighbourhood areas safe, there are some critics that claim that if not used properly, humps can cause vehicle damage. It can also increase response time and traffic noise at the same time. However, through proper speed cushion planning, you get the chance to keep these issues at bay and find proper solutions to all the problems as well.
Placement, material and so much more:
You can always avoid vehicle damage with these humps by placing them in their right areas. Even the materials used for manufacturing these products matter a lot. The Speed humps need to be placed on the level roads as change in include will make the humps function a lot higher. Some of the other considerations will be placement relative to manholes, driveways, curbs, streetlights and intersections.
Rubber and plastic speed humps can cause some less damage to vehicles. Rubber will further compress under impact and plastic gets the chance to sustain damage before there is any left to the car. Avoid the metal and concrete speed humps as they might cause more damage to vehicles.
Ask experts for help:
Always make it a point to ask experts about the speed bumps and humps, before installing the best ones on the road. The municipality experts are well-aware of the best options to choose and will place them in their proper areas only.